Monday, March 9, 2009

so many options....

There are many options for one who would like to volunteer abroad. 

the catch?

You have to pay to work for free. At first I didn't get it. Why would I pay to work. Then, my stupid brain realizes that the places one would volunteer would not have the resources and monies to give you a plane ticket, housing, food, and other necessities. Relative to the world, I am rich, filthy rich, especially when you think of how many people live under 1 USD a day. Unfortunately, you have to be weatlhty in both money and time by Western standards (or 1st world, but that term seems out dated, maybe developed countries would be a better fit...hmmm.) Few have the "luxury" of going abroad to donate their time and energy. The Peace Corps are definitely an option, but, at this point in my life, I don't want to commit 2 years and 3 months of my life to one single project. 

Maybe I am a victim of this "me" generation. If i start to feel restless, I feel like I should do something about it to make ME happier. The "me" mentality does not complement the life of a truly dedicated volunteer. I am the most selfish person I know. "What's in it for me?" I hate to admit it, but this thought pops into my head more times than I'd like to admit. 

I've been in Corea and teaching for 3 months. I am already restless, weighing the pros and cons of leaving early or staying for 9 more months. I like to stick a contract out, but Corea's contracts seem less-binding as I see/hear about the many people who opt to leave early. Even the company is okay with it, as long as I tell them 2 months in advance. I think the reason I've been so restless is that teaching is not what i want to do. I've never considered a career in education, so to do it everyday just confirms that it is not for me. It's easy to teach english in Corea, especially where i work, because they give you the book, the lesson plans, and the schedule. It's definitely not a challenge. Perhaps if it were a challenge, I'd be writing that teaching is difficult and I hate it.

I don't think I am ever satisfied. 

okay, that is enough reflection for today. 

No comments: