I found out about this group called Alternative Spring Breaks at my university back in September and applied. An info session, application, a meet and greet, and 2 group interviews later i found out that I was accepted. I was at in LA at the Butler house, coincidently during finals week of Fall 2007. Everything exciting/stressful happens during finals, no?
My first choice was China, then I changed my mind to Russia, then I got a call saying I was accepted but I had put China and Russia as my first choice, which was definitely not allowed, defeating the purpose of making it easier for the people in charge of placement. I said Russia. I was excited. I hung up. I felt good, then...i started to think about China. I called the girl back...
I desperately asked, "is it too late to change my mind."
"err...you can change, but you have to be sure this time."
"do i have to decide right now?"
"yes"
"where would you go?"
"what?"
"if you had to choose, where would you go?"
"umm...i don't really know, i can't really make that decision"
"do you remember anyone saying anything about the trips to Russia and China"
"umm...i know the people who went to China really liked it."
"Okay. I think I'll go to China. umm, I mean Russia. No, no, I mean China. I wish i could go to both"
"Yea, I know it's hard, but you have to choose." (probably thinking "hurry the fuck up!")
"ummm...China"
Are you sure? You want China, right?"
"....."
"are you there?"
"Yes, i don't know, i mean no, i mean yes. I want China"
"Okay, i'm going to...umm...put you down for China then"
"Okay, bye, thanks for all your help" (as I thought in my head, "Sorry for being so psycho and indecisive")
So that is how i ended up going to China. It was nice to hear that both groups were down to have me in their groups. But, I am glad I chose China, the people in my group are awesome.
So what is Alternative Breaks?
Alternative Breaks is an alternative to "normal," fun spring and summer breaks filled with alcohol, drugs, and all that good stuff. haha just kidding. It is an alcohol and drug free program, but it will still rock. A group of 10 students and an adviser will go abroad through Cross Cultural Solutions to aid in any way possible.
While this very exciting trip is coming up, I can't get excited, I'm drowning under all of my school obligations. I finished my LTKO final. hurrah! That was my last Korean language class final EVER! After two years of having class EVERY friggen day, i am done! I will now be one of those kids with only tues/thurs classes. Friends will be jealous. I will be stress-free. Birds will be singing-wait....perhaps i am putting too much on my tues/thurs schedule next quarter. I should probably calm my excited butt down.
Tomorrow: 8am, me vs. korean politics final
Also tomorrow: Tim and me, anniversary.
No comments:
Post a Comment