Wednesday, March 26, 2008

real live Americans!!

cheerleaders in xi'an
Today at the school, Ashley and I got to relive our high school memories and teach cheers. It was too fun. Who knew that our cheerleading skills would come in so handy in Xi'an, China.

We also taught them "down by the banks" (the hand game) and they LOOOOOVEED that! Today was especially tiring, but especially fun.


English corner at a local university
Our group was invited to join an english corner which ended up having a huge turnout because they usually do not have native english speakers at these english corners. It's usually just chinese students studying english practicing with each other. By the time we were done, the sun was gone, but there were tons of students in the quad area laughing and talking to us. I didn't want to go back home.

these students say the darnest things...
I was asked some very interesting and suprising questions...

"Are the streets of America really paved with gold?"
I thought this was a joke and i laughed. Then i asked them where these streets were so I can go get some gold. I had to explain that this was, indeed, a myth.

"Your hair is black like mine, but you are American?"
I had to explain to them that not all Americans are white. They were watching lots of movies from America and didn't really realize how DIVERSE it is here. =]

"People in America have jobs for respect right? Not because they need to, just because they don't want to appear lazy."
This was sad to hear. I told them that people in America work so they can eat and live just as people in China do. They had these notions that Americans were soooo rich that we could all just sit on our butts and still have tons of money to play with.

Overall, it was so fun and great to talk to these students my age. I was suprised at their level of English, especially given the fact that they have never been out of the country and for some, i was the first english speaker they had ever really conversed with. simply amazing.

No comments: