Saturday, January 31, 2009

read and run everyday

I was getting ready for a run, my very first run since i've been in Corea, when fox rings me on skype. The whole point of that detail is that Tim told me that it is healthy to run and read everyday. I already read everyday and I was already planning to run, so his tidbit was extra motivation.

I didn't realize this but there is a crazy long hiking trail behind my apartment. I stretched, loosened up, and I walked up to start of the hike. I AM SO STUPID. Less than 5 minutes up the hill, i'm panting and sweating and my right ankles hurts. My body is protesting. Rightly so, because up until this point, my demanding exercise regime consisted of randomly breaking out a few ballet barre exercises in the middle of my room or some sit-ups. Also, did i mention that this happened rarely? So there I was 5 minutes up this hike, when i see a little boy, about 7 years old, run past me. I'm still catching my breath when his grandpa passes me too. Yup, i got lapped by a 70 year old grandpa and a 7 year old boy. I went up as far as i could, almost quit 2 times, then on my third moment of defeat and regret that i even wanted to exercise, i headed back down the hill shamefully past the grandmas, grandpas, and families headed up the hill. 

As soon as I got down the hill, I decided to do a run around town instead, on more level ground, stable altitude. I went around town and as I was headed home I ran into my local mini-mart man, who is super friendly, reminds me of my dad. 

He asked what I was doing out to which i replied "taking a jog." I was feeling good. I had just ran around and played on random exercise "machines" scattered throughout my jogging path for over an hour. Then he said..."Good, you need to lose weight." I smiled politely with a "yes, I know." Then he asked "Why are you so fat? Do you eat a lot?" Invasive questions, no? Well...there was nothing to say to him but admit that "Yes, I love food"...

Now I am quite fond of this man. He is a very sweet old man and I know that it is a cultural difference that deems it appropriate and common to comment on one's weight, but I've only had such experiences with women and was thrown off that a man would comment as such. And the fact that, while I was admitting to my love of food, I felt ashamed pisses me off. 

I love food.  I love my body. I can walk, jump, have all my limbs, I'm able bodied. I'm grateful for my body. A part of me wants to get as BIG AS I POSSIBLY CAN to say Fuck You to society. but i won't. because i'm weak to societal expectations and the only person i'd fuck by doing that is myself. 

Love your body. Start a Revolution. We should not be body-hating females and males, but should instead celebrate and appreciate whatever body we have. Imagine if we started to think less about body image and appreciated out bodies for everything it allows us to do. Let's love ourselves.  

I have times when I succumb to the media's idea of beauty. There are times when I self-hate. But not today. Thanks body, for allowing me to do everything i want.

1 comment:

theannie said...

YES.
i shall join your movement. SISTA.