SUV hits two children, man outside Diamond Bar elementary school

Two children and a man were hit by a sports utility vehicle outside an elementary school in Diamond Bar this morning, leaving at least one of the children in critical condition.
The accident occurred about 7:40 a.m. in front of Maple Hill Elementary School, said Lt. John Saleeby of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Walnut station.The driver lost control of the vehicle, went over the sidewalk along Maple Hill Road and struck a 2-year-old, a 4-year-old and a man, said Ron Haralson, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
The 2-year-old was in critical condition and the 4-year-old and the man were in moderate condition at a hospital, authorities said. The cause of the accident is still under investigation.
-- Ruben Vives
Photo: One of the injured children is taken to a waiting helicopter to be airlifted for medical care. Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/11/two-children-an.html
Isn't it funny that when tradegy happens, you only think about how it affects you? In traffic we grumble about being late or get angry, but we don't always stop to think "Oh, no, I hope everyone in the accident is okay," instead we pass the accident with curious eyes then rejoice as we speed up, now that traffic has cleared up. I think our society is self-seeking and, at times, lacking compassion for our fellow man.
After reading about this horrible and unfortunate incident, I felt so sad for the family and so bad for grumbling about the noise earlier. It's the day before Thanksgiving and one family is probably at hospital anxiously waiting and hoping for some good news. The 2 year old is in critical condition, what a shame. I feel awful for the man who did it, he agreed to a blood-alcohol test and was cooperative, but imagine how he must feel. One wrong move, one ill-timed press on the accelerator, one mistake. Accidents are awful for all those involved.
I always say "LA traffic brings out the monster in me." It's on my yelp, my fb, it's even in this blog profile. I wish it wasn't true and I could instead be more patient and loving with all of the 10 trillion million people on the freeways. So starting today, I will adjust my driving attitude and keep the "monster" from surfacing. I know it seems silly, given I only have 2 more days in town, but Friday, the infamous Black Friday, will be a true test of the road. Frantic mothers buying Christmas gifts, tech-heads buying all of the marked down electronics, professional, serious, crazy shoppers on their big day, yes, this will be the perfect day. In the midst of all of the craziness, I will be the epitome of calmness, patience, compassion, and love. People will notice and think "I want what she has" while they flick off some drivers, mutter some words of inappropriate content under their breath, and tailgate the SUV in front of them as to not let anyone from the other lanes in.
An island of peace in a sea of chaos. just watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment